Liberty Day Celebrates Lorton’s Liberty Life
On May 20, more than 500 people came together to celebrate the Lorton community and the growing Liberty village. Liberty residents, neighbors, community members, families, young professionals, visitors, and guests spent the day enjoying a variety of activities, including:
- A history tour showcasing the grounds of the Lorton Reformatory
- The Liberty Crest apartment tour, offering insider views of the community’s new apartments
- The Kid Zone, where children enjoyed bouncy houses, touch-a-truck, face painting, and a balloon artist
- Games, including corn hole and hula hooping
- Food from the Red Apron Butcher and craft beer from Bluejacket
- Information tents hosted by community partners
- Talk with representatives selling Van Metre homes and townhouses at Liberty
- A DJ playing tunes to keep everyone moving
Although the event was admission-free, a portion of the proceeds from food and drink sales went to Arcadia. Arcadia is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a sustainable local food system in the D.C. area.
Liberty Day was the first opportunity for the community to visit the site that, up until now, had been closed to the public. The event was a kick-off to many more programs and community events to come.Check back on this site for announcements about movies on the green, retail store openings, restaurant openings, and more! Liberty Green will be the area’s new gathering place for fun summer evenings with your neighbors.